Thursday, May 3, 2007

Astrology - More Harmful Than You Might Think

Probably the most common and accepted pseudoscience today is astrology. Most papers have daily or weekly horoscopes. Almost everyone in the world knows or is aware of their astrological sign. It's fair to say it's commonplace, even when submitting my birth date to this website it spits out my zodiac sign. It's pretty safe to say astrology is so prevalent in society most people don't even notice its presence.

And that's my concern. While most people, I hope, look at astrology as nothing more than an amusing distraction or worse, a silly superstition, for me astrology is far more serious. And it's not astrology itself I'm worried about, but peoples reaction to it. Most people have astrology pegged, they know it's scientifically baseless, and its predictions are either so vague or incorrect as to be practically meaningless. It's the fact that people allow astrology to continue to enjoy it's present level of popularity (despite lack of belief), that causes me concern. There are people who do believe that the position of stars and the planets really do dictate one's personality, emotions and fortunes. And society's tolerance of astrology only encourages and supports these beliefs.

If all of astrology consisted only newspaper horoscopes, I might be okay with the state of things, (Okay, I wouldn't). It's the fact that there are so many predators, shysters and, frankly, criminals out there that are more than willing to prey on the beliefs of these people. People who, for whatever reason are vulnerable to these con men. But not only are these con men taking these peoples money, they are also re-enforcing the belief in this ancient superstition, and this is where I believe things can become dangerous.

If you believe in astrology, and have those beliefs re-enforced, I think it leaves you open to other, more dangerous beliefs. If science has been proven wrong in your eyes regarding astrology, perhaps science is also wrong about the healing powers of prayer, crystals or reiki. In my mind it's the practitioners of these so called "alternative" therapies that are extremely dangerous, because if you can be convinced that the position of Jupiter affects your love life, maybe you can also be convinced that crystals, not chemotherapy, can cure your cancer.

Now I realize that this sounds extreme, and it is, I admit it. But if only one person is duped into accepting these types of treatments, instead of proven medical science, and is harmed because of it, that's one person too many.

Am I saying astrology is responsible for the death of those who forsake traditional therapies, no.
But I do think that tolerating such pseudoscience and superstitions like astrology creates an atmosphere where people are more willing to explore more dangerous beliefs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Science has proven that the position of the moon influences tides. Humans are mostly bags of water. Does the position of the moon influence humans?

I don't have any faith in medicine men alone. After all, these guys and gals started out with leeches. So yes, they've come a long way. But I think there may be a long way to go.

As for your point regarding the scamsters, OK. But is it astrology or gullibility that bothers you?

To deny the existence of something (like the dreamtime or "God" or whatever) does not mean it doesn't exist. It just points out the limits of our awareness and the depths of our collective ignorance.

Josh Hodding said...

If you want to contend that the moon has physical influence over the human body, that's fine, it can be easily tested. However, to say that the stars and planets control who you are, I would have to strongly disagree. The doctor who delivered you had more gravitational influence on your body than Mars or Jupiter. The lights in the delivery room had more of a physical effect than the light from any constellation of stars.

It's not medicine in which I put my faith, but the scientific method driving the medicine.

Gullabilty doesn't bother me as much as astrology and all the other pseudosciences out there like ESP, telekinesis, remote viewing and the like, where there is NO scientific evidence to prove they either exist or work.

I don't deny the existence of these things, but I will not accept these things as real untill there is evidence to back it up.

And I sincerely hope that with your last comment you aren't suggesting that requiring evidence to support a claim makes one ignorant?

Anonymous said...

"The doctor who delivered you had more gravitational influence on your body than Mars or Jupiter."

You should read:

http://shankaranarayanan.com/atheism-skepticism-astrology-how-the-stars-and-planets-influence-affect-foretell-our-future-life-why-it-is-harmful-even-if-its-not-bullshit/

Unknown said...

I am curious, why are you an Atheist?

Josh Hodding said...

Short answer? Logic won out.

Seriously, the more I looked into Christianity I found it increasingly far fetched. At around the same time I was was introduced to the skeptical movement and began reading a lot of scientific work.

In the end I was won over by the reason and common sense of evidence based scientific inquiry.

Anonymous said...

I do feel it can be dangerous. There are people who base life decisions on the say so of astrologers, in doing so they are denying their own responsibilty. I understand the strong appeal it has - to be told there is order and everything will work out as long as you do/don't X Y or Z. Except it may well have worked out at least as fine if not better if you did the opposite!
There is no point in trying to talk to such believers - it was my experience that my personality was then analysed as being typical of my star sign!! lol.

ICYNDICEY said...

Astrology is a crock of sh**! I understand how it works, however. I believe that thought patterns can transfer from generation to generation within our cells. With that the archetypes of the zodiac are already imprinted within our subconscious from birth from the collective unconscious. So it is natural that people would externally gravitate towards it. It is only an impression on the subconscious, however, and has no bearing on our lives whatsoever until we give it power in the external world. Then you start to feed the beast. You become a drug addict looking for your next fix. Yes...it becomes an addiction. What it does is it takes the power away from YOU. You start looking outside of yourself for guidance, approval, validation and focus. Control, creation and power are an internal thing. Not external. I have this former friend who is so addicted to astrology. He sees this "astrologer" Bob Marks, or at least he used to until he bought a 750.00 astrology software program so he can do his own "solar return" charts and his "half solar return" charts. In any event...he calculates where he should travel on his birthday...and half birthday to change his chart. It is THE craziest sh** I have ever seen. He goes to these weird, remote places sometimes and just sits in the hotel. So you may be asking...Did any of his travels change his fame and fortune? NO...not a bit! And he is still just as delusional to this day. It's actually quite sad to watch so I had to cease being friends with this person.